Cambridge Street Baptist Church Lindsay, Ontario
One Hundred and Twenty-Five Years
1863 to 1988
First Century Compiled By Rev. P.C. Reed
(with some edits)
MINISTERS OF CAMBRIDGE STREET BAPTIST CHURCH
- Elder A. A. Cameron (1864 - 1866)
- Rev. Matthew Gould (1866 - 1871)
- Rev. John Cameron (1871 - 1873)
- Rev. William Prosser (1873 - 1877)
- Rev. W. K. Anderson (1878 - 1892)
- Rev. H. Ware (1892 - 1893)
- Rev. Ralph Trotter (1893 - 1895)
- Rev. L. S. Hughson (1895 - 1903)
- Rev. George R. Welch (1904 - 1911)
- Rev. Herbert Bryant (1911 - 1919)
- E. Hooper M.D. (supply)
- Rev. P. B. Loney (1920 - 1922)
- Rev. Gordon M. Holmes (1923 - 1937)
- Rev. P. C. Reed (1937 - 1943)
- Rev. F. C. Stevens (1943 - 1944)
- Rev. Ronald D. Harmer (1944 - 1948)
- Rev. J. G. B. Armstrong (1948 - 1955)
- Rev. S. D. France (1955 - 1957)
- Rev. Herbert R. Stovell (1957 - 1962)
- Rev. G. M. Holmes (1962 - 1963)
- Rev. T. W. J. Boadway (1963 - 1970)
- Rev. John Bovenkamp (1971 - 1973)
- Rev. Robert Poole (1973 - 1977)
- Rev. Grant Woodcock (1977 - 1982)
- Rev. David Stamp (1983 - 1984)
- Dr. Frank Rice (1984 - 1985)
- Rev. Robert Brillinger (1986 - 2011) - further additions by Rev. Phil Styles
- Rev. Murray Stovell (2012 - 2013)
- Rev. Owen Juhlke (2013 - 2014)
- Rev. Phil & Rev. Ruth Brown (2014 - 2016)
- Rev. Phil Styles (2016 - present)
This Church and congregation is indebted to our honoured and revered Pastor Emeritis and Historian, Rev. P. C. Reed, B.A., B.D., who with great skill and patience has reached down the long corridors of time, gathered together the threads of history and woven them into an accurate and interesting tapestry of the Lord's work in this place.
Clinton Reed was born in Queen's County, Nova Scotia. January 1, 1878, was baptized in Berwick, Nova Scotia in 1894. In 1902 he received his B.A. from Acadia University and his B.D. from Newton Theological Institute, Mass., in 1907. He was ordained in 1906 and married Mina Coldwell of St. John, N.B., in 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Reed celebrated their fifty-fifth wedding anniversary here in June, 1962.
Mr. Reed served as military secretary of the YMCA during the First World War with rank of Captain, chiefly in the trans-Atlantic conducting staff.
A tower of strength in the churches in which he served. Mr. Reed has continued to render outstanding service to the Baptist cause on many official Boards and committees.
Pastor of this Church from 1937 until his retirement in 1943 when he was appointed Pastor Emeritis, he has continued to serve as a beloved and honoured member of the congregation.
In acknowledging the great amount of research that has gone into this volume, recognition is also due our Historian's Chief Critic, Mrs. Reed, who assisted in the reading and sorting of ancient volumes of notes and memos and in helping in many ways in this undertaking.
We also express our sincere appreciation to Dr. Watson Kirkconnell, President of Acadia University, and a former member of this church, for writing both our Seventy-Fifth and our One Hundredth Anniversary Hymns.
We are indebted also to Mrs. Russell Hardy who typed the complete manuscript for the printer and to Mrs. Stan Pitts, who contributed the finished books to the Church.
S.R. Pitts Chairman Centennial Committee
1863 - Centennial - 1963 Cambridge Street Baptist Church Lindsay, Ontario INTRODUCTORY
"A wise nation preserves its monuments in memory of joys and sacrifices of the past." So said that great Joseph Howe of Confederation days.
The following recital attempts to record "joys and sacrifices of the past" in the lighting of the Baptist lamp in Lindsay, and how that light has glowed for One Hundred years.
The first inkling showing Baptist interest is revealed by a Deed of Crown land, Lot 17, N. Wellington Street. Dated February 9, 1854, purchased for Ten Pounds by Rev. John Gilmour of Peterborough. Mr. Gilmour was first a missionary to the Indians of Balsam, Chemong and Rice Lakes; then a wide ranging Baptist Evangelist and finally in 1847 the pastor of the newly organized Peterborough Baptist Church. Evidently some Baptist or Baptists of Lindsay, selected the site for purchase for a Baptist chapel.
In another Deed - Dated Jan. 4, 1856, Rev. John Gilmour deeded this lot to Joseph Wilkinson, farmer, and William Thornhill of Lindsay. The Deed specified its use for a place of worship for those of the Baptist Denomination - whose practice is Baptism by Immersion, and that the terms of Communion at the Lord's Table be determined by the majority of the Members of the Church.
For Historical purposes the exact copy of each Deed is appended hereto.
These Deeds were executed nine and seven years before the Baptist Church came into being. Apparently as the Town grew more Baptists arrived, and fellowshipped together.
In 1857 Elder Wright of Fenelon Falls Baptists visited this area and doubtless preached.
We have this record that on Aug. 4, 1862, three persons were baptized, namely:
Mrs. Duncan Fisher, John Calvert, Peter Fisher.
Where baptized or by whom, is not stated.
THE CHURCH ORGANIZED
For the Record of the actual beginning of the Lindsay Baptist Church we here present the exact copy of the proceedings from the One Hundred-year-old, leather bound Minute Book.
"Minutes and Proceedings of the Regular Baptist Church of Lindsay.
"This Church was organized in Lindsay on the Second day of February, 1863, by Elder A. McIntyre of Fenelon Falls, with a membership of thirteen, and was received into the Haldimand Association on the 30th day of June, 1865.
"Elected Deacons: William Thornhill and Peter Fisher.
"and in 1864, John Calvert.
(Signed) Peter Fisher - Church Clerk."
It is worth of note that the descendants of Peter Fisher, Charter Member, Deacon and First Church Clerk, have had membership in this Church for four generations - Mrs. S. R. Pitts is a great granddaughter.
Charter Members of the Lindsay Regular Baptist Church:
1. William Thornhill
2. Mrs. William Thornhill
3. Thomas Richardson
4. Mrs. Thomas Richardson
5. David Magahay
6. Mrs. David Magahay
7. George Calvert
8. Mrs. George Calvert
9. William Garnett
10. Mrs. William Garnett
11. Mrs. Duncan Fisher
12. John Calvert
13. Peter Fisher
It may be noted that the first ten members are married couples, and apparently were members of Baptist Churches elsewhere. They did not then have their letters of dismission. The Church, two years later advised that such letters were not now necessary.
THE TOWN OF LINDSAY
These are the surroundings into which this church was born. The Townsite was established about 1828. It was called Purdy's Mills, after the Purdy family who established a Dam, a Grist Mill and a Saw Mill, adjacent to the present Lindsay Street Locks.
When in 1834 the Townsite was being surveyed, a man was killed whose name was Lindsay. (He was buried where the Canadian Legion Hall now stands.)
The Surveyor marked the name Lindsay on his maps - and so it remains today.
At that time Lindsay was largely a cedar swamp. Kent Street was chopped out in 1840. How proud we are today that they made it so wide.
By 1851 the population was about 300. Transportation was mostly by foot or by river down from Port Perry. The roads were trails and often impassible.
However, when in 1857 the Railroad came in from Port Hope via Millbrook and Reaboro, the village grew more rapidly and soon was incorporated as a Town.
In 1861 the great fire destroyed nearly 100 buildings. This was a blessing in disguise, for many old Kent Street frame buildings were replaced by brick structures.
This Town's central location in a large mixed farming area has established Lindsay as a fine stable comfortable town. Added to this is the Industrial growth of late years to assure us of a fine town in which to live, and work, and play, and worship God.
THE LINDSAY CHURCHES
In 1841 the first church was built by the Roman Catholics. The Methodists came next, shortly followed by the Presbyterians. The Church of England came fourth and built their first church where the (soon to be called old) Post Office now stands. Fifth were the BAPTISTS who now in 1963 celebrate THEIR CENTENNIAL YEAR.
It should be said that this Church is most fortunate in its records of the past. We have the ORIGINAL Minute Book and most succeeding ones. There is also a mixed mass of other historical data.
We are also happy to have from the pen of our late beloved Mrs. J. P. Ryley, two papers. One-"The History of our Mission Circle" given at the Circle's Fiftieth Anniversary. The other "The Sketch of the Cambridge Street Baptist Church 1863-1938", given at the Seventy Fifth Church Anniversary.
With all this means of Historical material available, the historian of 1963 finds it a problem to select the data that will give a proper and vital picture of our progress, and yet not be too boring for either readers or listeners to the sketch.
To uncover the sweep of our work by the Quarter Century seems better to serve the purpose of this Historical Study.
First Quarter Century - Feb. 2, 1863-1888
Second Quarter Century - 1888-1913
Third Quarter Century - 1913-1938
Fourth Quarter Century - 1938-1963 - Feb. 2 1963
There may be an overlapping of some features, and of the work of some Ministers, yet we hope to make stand out the salient features in each period.
The First Quarter Century Feb. 2, 1863-1888
There can be no doubt that this infant church of 13 members faced the future with little but the Grace and Power of God. That indeed proved to be all sufficient.
Passing mention may here be made of Formative church features:
Entry into Denomination life.
Baptisms year in and year out.
The Sunday School established.
A Draft constitution drawn up.
Fairly rigid church discipline.
Deacons welcoming strangers etc.
Mission Circle organized.
Some Formidable features were:
Build a Chapel and Vestry.
Give off a Daughter Church.
Build a Parsonage.
Purchase another church and parsonage.
Now a little more detail of these first 25 years.
The first Minister - Elden A. Cameron of Woodville-began work early in 1864. The church agreed to raise $150.00 and also ask Convention Board for $200.00 for the Pastor's support for the first nine months. Baptisms followed Baptisms. Note this - On Jan. 3, 1865, in the Church minutes it was agreed to pay John Calvert $1.60 for Baptismal skirts.
The place of worship was a small brick building on Cambridge Street South. This was later occupied by the Town's first Newspaper, "The Victoria Warder" - now Watchman Warder, and the Church services were then held in the Council Chamber.
To link the Church with the Baptist Denomination, application was made for membership in the Haldimand Association of Baptist Churches. Pastor Cameron and Peter Fisher attended their meeting in Whitby, on June 30, 1865, and our church was accepted for membership. The church paid the expenses of their delegates, amounting to $6.60. The church membership then was 30.
To an historian, when a church was born, the spiritual surroundings into which it is born and will grow up, are of prime importance. It was into this Association of Baptists that the Lindsay Church was received in 1865. The Haldimand Association of Baptist Churches was formed about 1819.
When the Lindsay Church was organized' in 1863, in all of Ontario there were fewer than 40 Baptist Churches. Our near neighbour churches are here listed with the dates of their organization:
Claremont 1821; Brooklyn 1827; Markham 1837; Gilmour 1840; Manilla 1844; Peterborough 1846; Uxbridge 1851; Port Hope 1855; Fenelon Falls 1857; Brock Twp. 1861; Lindsay 1863
A meeting of the Haldimand Association was held in Lindsay in 1867. The church membership was then 57. Elder Cameron's, work as Pastor was terminated in November, 1866.
Rev. Matthew Gould began his ministry early in 1867. He would then be in his early thirties. An invitation to attend our 75th Anniversary was sent to him, addressed to Baptist Church House, London. No reply was received. A little later it was learned that he had died in England at the ripe old age of 100 years.
THE WELLINGTON STREET CHAPEL
The outstanding feature of Pastor Gould's ministry was the building of the Chapel on Wellington Street, in 1867. This was placed on the lot purchased in 1854 for a Baptist Chapel, by that great Christian Rev. John Gilmour.
In 1867 the church appointed the following trustees of the Property: Peter Fisher, George Calvert, John Veals, James Weir, H. Silver
In March of 1867 the church voted to build a "Scantling Frame Chapel," when $500.00 was in hand. Contractor Bell began work in July. In the Fall it was decided to paint the outside by a volunteer process called a "Bee".
In December, 1867, the Chapel was dedicated. We find no record of the participants. A Tea Meeting was held to raise funds. It was stated that one brother refused to pay his full subscription for the Chapel, because it was built of frame and not brick. The building was insured for $800.00. Later (January, 1874) a vestry was added. The original Wellington Street Chapel, now a double house, stands today at 37-39 Sussex Street North.
Mrs. Ryley reported that there being no organ, Pastor Gould took his own organ to the Chapel for Sabbath Services - in summer by wheelbarrow, in winter by sled. She also reported that the Convention refused a grant for the building unless it was moved to a more convenient site. The building remained. (At that time there were 3 houses on the north and one on the south side of Wellington Street. A cedar swamp separated it from Kent Street.)
The first Sunday School was formed in 1867, the Chapel building year. A collection was to be taken each Sabbath, "for benefit of the Sunday School, after paying the necessary expenses of the Church".
Through all the History of the Church, the Sunday School has been a vital feature of our work. By 1887, the Sunday School enrollment was 127.
In January, 1872, the Church voted to hold a Missionary Meeting in the Chapel. Up to this time the business meetings were held every week, usually on a Saturday afternoon.
Soon the Church voted to hold quarterly business meetings. In 1874 it was voted "that Brother Chambers do attend on Sabbaths and show strangers to seats in the church".
THE DAUGHTER CHURCH - OPS - REABORO
A considerable number of the members of the Lindsay Church lived in Ops Township. Back in 1866 they were busy about a Church lot at Hillhead. Apparently, they secured a building there, for R. McPherson and Henry Baldwin were Trustees. Later in 1867 they were succeeded by John Calvert and John Phillips, and in 1870 Alex. Herbert and Thomas Reeds.
THE OPS REABORO CHURCH
Organization meetings were held on Aug. 13, 1873, at Hillhead. The recognition of the Church as a Separate Organization was held on Sept. 11, 1873, with representations present from Lindsay, Port Perry and Fenelon Falls Churches.
They list 26 Charter Members, of which 21 came by letter dated Aug. 23, 1873, from Lindsay. (Five of these being charter members of the Lindsay church.)
At their Organization Meeting it was agreed to extend a call to Rev. William Prosser, to serve both churches, once a Sabbath. Lindsay to raise $300.00 and Ops $200.00 of the Salary.
One later item states that Pastor Prosser "was not to come to Ops if weather be stormy." Mr. W. E. Matthews of Ottawa, wrote in 1938 that he remembered driving Pastor Prosser to the Ops afternoon service.
List of Members of Lindsay Church Dismissed to Become Charter Members of Church at Hillhead – Reaboro
George Calvert, Mrs. Janet Garnet, Peter Fisher, Robert Reeds, Mrs. Caroline White, Mrs. Alexander Herbert, Mrs. John Veals, Mrs. A. Killaby, Thomas Reeds, A. Killaby, William Herbert, Charlotte Calvert, Rebecca Killaby, Mrs. George Calvert, Margaret Fisher, John Calvert, Mrs. William Hickson, Alexander Herbert, John Veals Sr., Charles Veals, E. Jane McMahon, Elizabeth Fisher, John Veals, Ann Herbert, A. E. Calvert
THE FIRST PARSONAGE 1874 - And An Historic Piece of String
In a loose mass of church reports was found a piece of string. Tied up with it were the Receipted Bills to Mr. George Matthews, for the materials and labour for the Parsonage building, and dated from April to September, 1874.
Back on March 18, 1871, a Parsonage Proposal was made, "But as night was approaching the meeting adjourned". The next year a Parsonage Committee was appointed. Two years later its desirability was agreed upon. Finally, in February, 1874, it was decided to build at once and that Brother Matthews build it. This he did. It was completed in the Fall of 1874 at a total cost of $1,904.79, of this amount $650.00 was to be paid in cash to Mr. Matthews. The balance to be his contribution to the church for six years. This original parsonage stands today at 74 Wellington Street.
We quote this from Mrs. Ryley's history. "The first record of special services, is early in Mr. Prosser's pastorate in 1874." "An ardent temperance missionary, Mr. John B. Gough, held meetings for two weeks. The attendance was so large in this church that for the second week the meetings were held in the Town Hall."
During these early years only men attended the Business Meetings. Yet their work was effective, as noted below:
Deacons to Revise the list of Members.
Auditors were appointed.
A Draft Constitution was adopted in 1875.
And Church "Rules" considered.
In August of 1877, Pastor Prosser completed a fruitful ministry and in November of that year, Rev. W. K. Anderson accepted the call here. He was a mature and able man, and his ministry was most helpful.
Mrs. Ryley notes in her history concerning the early help to the church by Dr. Davidson of the Home Mission Board, Mr. William Craig of Port Hope. Rev, S. Tapscott of Fenelon Falls. and Rev. John Dempsey.
There were two more notable church events as the First Quarter Century drew to a close.
THE MISSION CIRCLE ORGANIZED
For some time, the church women had been meeting at the parsonage for prayer.
On Sept. 27, 1886, these women met in the school room with Miss Dryden of Brooklyn, and organized a Mission Circle. (This was only two years after the Women's Baptist Foreign Mission Society had been organized in Toronto.)
The Officers were:
President, Mrs. W. K. Anderson
Vice-President, Mrs. Mitchell
Secretary, Miss Fanny Matthews
Treasurer, Miss Bothwell
What a mighty influence for good it has been through all these years in Prayers and Offerings for Foreign and Home Mission work.
Mrs. Ryley's history was read at its 50th Anniversary in 1936.
The Church continued to grow in members through Baptisms and in the Grace of Living together. In 1886 they faced a great problem and won through Gloriously.
THE CAMBRIDGE STREET CHURCH AND PARSONAGE
On Sept. 21, 1885, The Bible Christians Church offered this property to our church for $3,750.00. The offer was accepted. Mr. George Matthews offered to pay $700.00 cash and take the deed until Wellington Street properties were sold and other subscriptions came in. The church was to properly repair church and parsonage. Many business meetings were held. By Oct. 8, 1886, the balance needed was $818.71. Mr. Matthews offered another $500.00 if the Church raised the $318.71 by Nov. 1, 1886.
On Nov. 1, 1886, a Great Special Meeting was held. Mr. Matthews announced the property clear and handed the Deed to Mr. Richardson, Chairman of Trustees.
The total cost was:
Total cost of property and interest: $4,241.71
Cost of improvements: $1,132.64
Small items: $31.50
There were happy speeches by Pastor Anderson and others, and, "the ladies passed around refreshments."
During those busy months candidates were received for Baptism, ushers were appointed, the Pastor's salary was raised and the church adopted for its use the American Baptist Hymn Book. The church became self-supporting about this time.
Thus, passed a wondrous First Quarter Century of Baptist Work in Lindsay.
The Second Quarter Century 1888-1913
This period opened propitiously with the veteran Pastor Rev. W. K. Anderson and family strongly entrenched in the life of the church. The period of "First Things" chapel, parsonage, etc., was now past. Great had been the work of those early church Pioneers. As needed, members moved into the vital positions in the church. Business meetings were largely of men, but their decision ably supported by the women. For example, every year a member was as appointed to solicit the members for subscriptions to the Pastor's salary and invariably they received the necessary sum. One solicitor heard this from a member in an aside to his wife. "I guess we can give 5 cents a Sunday Ma.”
Even back in 1870, weekly offering envelopes were supplied to those wishing them.
In this earlier period of church life, Discipline, was to our present manner of thinking very stiff indeed. Members were excluded or names dropped from the roll for continued absence from Church or Lord’s Supper: for carping criticism of Sunday school teachers or pastor: for intoxication: for malicious gossip, etc. Perhaps because of this or mayhap in spite of it, the spiritual tone of the church continued high and many found the Saviour and were baptized on profession of their faith.
The church has from the very first kept her sound place in the Denomination. Delegates were regularly sent to Associations and Conventions. Offerings were regularly sent to Foreign and Home, Western Missions and Grand Ligne Mission.
It may be remarked that interest in neighbouring churches was shown in the gift of Chandeliers from the First Chapel to the new church at Kinmount. There have been other gifts of somewhat similar nature through the years.
Invitations have been accepted (in most cases) to sit on ordination councils at Kinmount, Cannington, Uxbridge, Whitby, Scotch Line, Port Perry, Oshawa, Claremount and Whitevale, etc.
The tone of the church is indicated in a Business Meeting of April 4, 1888. Reports were received from delegates to the Convention held at Guelph and from church organizations. The choir were recipients of $20.00. Refreshments were served and "The Choir entertained with some Choir music.”
The Business Meetings were well attended by 30 to 50 members, both men and women. In 1890, plans were made and carried out for repairing and painting the church spire. Plans for electric lighting of church and schoolroom by Mr. Reesor of hydro were also completed.
Because of failing health, Pastor Anderson resigned in 1892. He was succeeded by Rev. H. Ware of Chatham, a former Home Mission Superintendent. Under his wise guidance and in Special Meetings the church was quickened to new life. He died at Sturgeon Point May 18, 1893.
Pastor Ralph Trotter came in July, 1893. On Jan. 2, 1894, a council was called here for his ordination. The churches represented were, Lindsay. Reaboro, Scotch Line, Peterborough, Bobcaygeon, Manilla. Uxbridge and Toronto. The Moderator was Rev. Prof. D. M. Weldon, who also preached the sermon. Two of the Pastor's brothers took part in the service. Prof. Thomas Trotter, and Rev. John Trotter of Peterborough
Was it the Ordination Fire?
But soon a real fire raged above and behind the pulpit and in gable of school room. The damage was considerable. The two assessors were paid $5.00 a piece for a study of the damage. (Some charred yet solid timbers are still up in that gable.)
What was to be done?
On May 9, 1894, the vigorous and undaunted church, let the tender both to repair the fire damage and to add a needed addition to the school room. All of which work was soon completed - yes, and paid for.
It is to be noted that from now on written reports of all societies in the church were to be given at Annual Meetings - and note - there were more organizations in the church 50 years ago, than now. Early in 1895 Pastor Trotter left and was succeeded, in May, by Rev. L. S. Hughson of Coaticook, Quebec. The salary to be $900.00 for Lindsay and $200.00 for Reaboro. For eight years he was the busy and effective Pastor.
Some samplings of the work at that time, may indicate the scope and vigour of the work.
The Sunday School enrollment was 170. The Sunday School Library was enlarging and most helpful (but with the building of the Town Public Library, by the end of the third quarter century, its usefulness was fading). The Young People's Society had an enrollment of 60, and the Mission Band of 42 - both very much alive.
There was a Pastor's Ladies' Aid Society, with the Pastor as President, whose aim was to assist the Pastor by calling on sick or needy. In one year, these ladies made 237 visits. There were 125 church members. The whole church was busy and working together for their Lord.
The finances were in good condition, in spite of the fact that the Treasurer reported that - "Bad silver received, $1.15," and they had a $350.00 note in the bank.
The Record Should Cite This.
Both before and after the turn of the century many able Christians as in the earlier years, were added to the church by letter.
We mention a few of these - Matthews, Mortons, Mitchells, two Whiteside families, Hardys, Kirkconnells, Kitcheners. Clarks, Peels, Finley~, etc., etc. (Some like Deacon F. A. Reeds recall being baptized by Pastor Hughson.) Descendants of these and even of charter members are faithful in the work of Lindsay and Reabcro Churches and in hundreds of other churches at home and abroad. Surely the work of this church has not been in vain to the Lord.
Back in 1875 a committee was formed to Revise the Roll of Church Members. Such work has necessarily continued through the years. Many members were lost by letter to other churches as well as losses by Death and Exclusion. Though the church membership was comparatively small, yet its total Spiritual Contribution in many churches has been relatively large.
In April, 1896, Mr. George Matthews resigned as church clerk, because he was away so much of the time.
The church voted that a suitable "Citation" be presented to him in grateful appreciation for his many years of service to the church. Further the church ordered the creation of the position of Honourary Clerk and that Brother Matthews be elected to that office.
We cite below the Invitation to the Anniversary Meeting of the Young People's Society in 1897.
The Lindsay Baptist Y.P.S.C.E. propose holding their Anniversary Meeting on Sunday Evening, April 25th.It will be "An Old-Members' Meetings", to be wholly in charge of those who were members of the Society seven years ago or more. We invite you to be present; if that is not possible be sure to send the committee a brief letter, stating what you have seen to be the benefit of the Lindsay Baptist Y.P.S.G.E. since you have joined it, noting especially the formation of any new Societies through our Society, and any conversions. These letters will be read in response to the roll call.
In behalf of the Society,
Miss M. Whiteside.
E. A. Hardy.
Lindsay, Ont., April 12th. 1897.
PLEASE ANSWER PROMPTLY
We note the signature of Miss M. Whiteside. She became wife of Mr. Albert Matthews and, with Mr. Matthews then Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, officially attended our 75th Church Anniversary.
ANNUAL ROLL CALL, 1898
The annual roll call of Lindsay Baptist Church will be held on Tuesday. May 10th. Tea will be served at 6:30 pm to which you are cordially invited, and the roll call of the church will be held at 8 p.m. Please be present if possible if not send a message or verse to be read in response to your name,
On behalf of the church,
E. A. Hardy, Clerk.
Lindsay. April 28ih. 1898
There are many replies on record, one was from Mrs. Thornhill, a Charter Member of the Church. She died June 7, 1903, aged 98.
We also have a reply to the 1897 Roll Call from Peter Fisher another Charter Member, Deacon and first Church Clerk. He died May 4, 1915, aged 89
LICENSE TO PREACH
Among the mass of loose church records was found this letter. It is dated McMaster, Toronto, Oct. 30. 1897, from R. C. Matthews, asking the church to grant him a License to Preach.
This was granted by the church on motion of Brethren Kennedy and Miller.
At a Business Meeting January, 1898, a Lookout Committee of men was set up.
Also, instead of seeking a Loan from the Bank for extra finances, the Trustees recommended that a vigorous effort be made to collect the needed sum by gift or loan, from the church members.
At another meeting, it was noted that a member received $21.00 "Interest on Note". Apparently that member had loaned quite an amount to the church.
For four weeks in January, special services were conducted by Rev. William Pugsley, resulting in deepening of Spiritual Life and 38 additions to the church by Baptism.
Resolutions of grateful thanks to the Evangelist was sent to him, to Canadian Baptist and to be recorded on the Church Minutes. The church by vote asked Mr. Kennedy, the Sunday School Superintendent, "to give a series of Doctrinal Talks to the Sunday School".
Further parsonage improvements came along in 1903. The old kitchen was pulled down and a new one erected, (the old one was added to rear of church). Furnace and plumbing installed. Also new cushions to pews, were among church improvements.
In 1903 Pastor Hughson resigned and was succeeded by Rev. G. R. Welch of Woodstock. This was the 40th Anniversary year.
A Lantern was provided by a friend for church or Sunday School use.
It is noted that both in 1904 and 1905 collections were taken for the Ross Memorial Hospital.
A choir leader was appointed and Miss Maud Matthews was thanked for her 11 years of service as organist.
The McMaster Band was here for a Series of Meetings in 1905. They apparently were held in Cambridge Street Methodist Church. Baptism continued to follow Baptisms in a wonderful succession all during Pastor Welch's ministry.
MOULTON COLLEGE - Principal A. E. Hardy, and Lindsay.
In 1904 Mr. A. E. Hardy severed his connection with the Lindsay Collegiate (and the Lindsay Baptist Church), to become the Principal of Moulton College for girls. Such was his reputation in Lindsay - relates Mrs. Fred Bruce - that her mother, a staunch Methodist, sent her to Moulton, the Baptist School, because the well-known Mr. Hardy was principal. He shortly left there and became eminent in collegiate circles in Toronto. For his great educational services, he was awarded the O.B.E. in the Queen's Honour List.
Dr. Hardy returned to Lindsay as speaker for the 50th Anniversary of the Twenty Club, which he had founded. As a former Deacon and Sunday School superintendent here, he spoke on the 75th Church Anniversary to combined Morning Congregation and Sunday School.
Two new features emerged in 1906 report.
1. The Sunday School Philathen Class (teacher, Mrs. Ryley) raised $70.00 for support of a Native Student in India.
2. The organist was given the privilege of holding a concert in the church, the program to be subject to appraisal of the music committee.
At the May, 1907, Anniversary Tea and Roll Call, 79 members were present and 20 absent ones sent notes. The next year representatives of the church were appointed to the Board of the Home for the Aged. In the same year extensive church improvements were made, including hot air furnace and floor adjustments. For these improvements the church voted to float a loan for $1,500.00.
It may also be noted that on Feb. 3, 1909, after much discussion by the Church and Societies, it was decided to purchase a piano for $250.00.
In 1910, Duplex Offering Envelopes were adopted on motion of Dr. H. V. Pogue, the financial secretary.
A significant event in our history in 1908 was the arrival of the new, collegiate headmaster, Mr. T. A. Kirkconnell of Port Hope. The church minutes say that on Sept. 30, 1908, he with Mrs. Kirkconnell, daughter Helen, and sons Walter and Watson, were received into membership. For 34 years his matchless educational work was carried on. In 1919 Toronto University conferred on him the degree of LL.D. He passed away in 1934.
We note also that in November, A. C. Bingham was received into membership. He was the first YMCA secretary in Lindsay. Later he was for two years pastor at Scotch Line and Bobcaygeon Churches.
BAPTIST UNION OF CANADA
In 1908 Pastor Welch, Deacons Matthews and F. Waller were appointed delegates to the First meeting of the Baptist Union of Canada, at Ottawa, on Nov. 4 and 5. Out of further such meetings grew the present Baptist Federation of Canada.
Pastor Welch resigned in 1911 to accept a call to Aylmer. The church passed a resolution paying glowing tribute to the man and his fervour in the Lord.
He was succeeded by Rev. Herbert Bryant of Medicine Hat, Alberta. As Mrs. Ryley says, "The first few years of his Pastorate, moved forward peacefully and happily. Many new members were received, and the outlook was most encouraging."
It may be remarked that at that time the first Individual Communion Service was used.
There seems to be no record of the Fiftieth Anniversary Services.
This brings us to an end of the second quarter century in the life of our church.
The Third Quarter Century 1913- 1938
The church was still under the able ministry of Rev, H. B. Bryant. Soon there came the poignant years of the First Great War, 1914-1918. We quote again from Mrs. Ryley's History.
"The Church was most fortunate in having Mr. and Mrs. Bryant among them at such a time. Their high Christian courage and sympathetic understanding brought comfort and strengthened the faith of those bereaved and helped to alleviate the fears and uncertainty that prevailed."
By 1916 there were 22 war recruits from the church with more later.
Five paid the supreme sacrifice.
W. Kay Anderson
In the light of the present liquor situation, a motion at the Business Meeting of Nov. 7, 1915, is of more than passing interest. It was voted:
1. "To express hearty approval of the action of the Board of License Commissioners in obtaining reduction of the hours of sale of intoxicating liquor as a step of progress in Temperance legislation."
2. "That we urge upon them to refuse renewal of licenses to all hotels in Lindsay whose business is the Bar Trade, as such hotels are little else than Saloons."
H. Bryant (Pastor)
A. D. Kitchener (Clerk)
Passing reference should be made to the record in 1915 of a Banquet for Ladies Only, arranged under the chairmanship of the indefatigable Miss Maude Morton. They record that there were 135 ladies connected with the church at that time, and 94 ladies sat down to a bountiful spread.
Mention should also be made of a church male quartette, quite famous in its day, and probably led by a collegiate teacher, Mr. Walter Clark. The names are P. Suggitt, R. Sullivan, Rev. H. Bryant. One number they always sang, "The Church in The Wildwood."
Another feature of the active life of the church at this time should be noted. On Sunday evenings after church the little organ (shown in the historical room) would be taken to the front of church steps for an outdoor sing song. Douglas Clark was the organist. Then they would repair downtown to the parked theatre for further gospel singing, led by Alex Clark (known as the town's Billy Sunday). The late R. L. Morgan and others have told the writer of these happy, vital services.
In 1866 Mr. and Mrs. George Matthews were received by Letter into the membership of this church. He was elected a Deacon and so continued for 46 years. As a member, a Deacon, church clerk, etc., he was ever a vital force in the life and work of the church. His gracious family ably joined with their mother and father in their devoted labours for Christ and His Church. He passed away in 1916.
A Memorial Plaque on the north wall of the church pays tribute to the life and work of this great servant of the Lord.
After a long and fruitful ministry Pastor Bryant resigned. December, 1919. Dr. F. Hooper ably ministered to the church until the arrival of Rev. P. B. Loney of Tiilsonburg, at the end of 1920.
Two features emerged at this time:
1. The church joined in the great Forward Missionary Movement and pledged $2,546.00 of which $921.00 was paid in cash.
2. A Board of Management to be in charge of the temporal affairs of the church was appointed.
This arrangement continued for not too long a time.
New Baptismal gowns were provided, and a little later, choir robes were made. Three hundred Song Books for the Evening services were purchased. Watson Kirkconnell was choirmaster.
Rev. Marion Smith and Rev. Andrew Imrie of Toronto conducted two weeks of Special Services in March, 1922. Fifteen members of the Sunday School - mostly of Mrs. Creighton's class were baptized. Mr. Loney resigned at the end of 1922.
In January, 1923, Rev. Gordon M. Holmes B.A., BTh., began what proved to be the longest ministry in the church - 14 years. At this time the church membership was at 193 and the Sunday School with teachers and officers was 152.
Throughout his long ministry, Pastor Holmes' preaching was characterized by a deep concern for the Salvation of Souls. Special Evangelistic Services were held frequently with the help of local Pastors or of outside Evangelists, or of The McMaster Band.
All of this brought forth a deep spiritual reaction from the church. One reaction is seen in the acceptance by the church of a striking resolution presented by Deacon Kitchener, and passed unanimously, the substance of which is as follows:
"That, having received a new view of the need of those outside Christ, we resolve as members of the church to commit ourselves anew to the work laid upon us to bring to others the kind of blessings we have received from God."
In November, 1925, a great Missionary Conference was held for all district churches, apparently led by Mr. W. C. Senior. Out of this grew The Enterprise Club for the study of Missions. As an opening feature on this program, they had a visit from Rev. Percy Buck, just returned from Overseas Mission work. Another was Rev. J. B. McLaurin.
At the 62nd Annual meeting the church voted to eliminate The Board of Management.
The Anniversary Speaker for that year was Rev. O. C. Elliott. A Decision Day was, at that time, held in the Sunday School, with many responses.
In November, 1925, Rev. Alexander Torrie held two wonderful weeks of services. The last Sunday Meeting was held in the Academy Theatre. Many souls came to the Saviour. The Pastor reported 42 Baptisms, and a wonderful spirit of Consecration in the church.
In May, 1926, study was presented of plans for an annex to the Sunday School with other improvements. The first tenders were considered too high, but by November the church ordered full speed ahead with the work and established "A line of credit at the bank."
On Feb. 20, 1927, Rev, G. R. Welch was the Anniversary Preacher. His Monday lecture was combined with the Opening of the New Sunday School addition.
Earlier that year most helpful services were conducted by Capt. Tom Best. On his birthday, Pastor Holmes was remembered with a purse.
In 1927, due to Theological differences etc., some 28 members asked that their names be dropped from the church roll. Their request was granted with much regret.
In November, 1927, at the request of the Reaboro Church and agreed to by Lindsay church, Pastor Holmes was co-operated in the work of both churches. This plan was continued under Pastor Reed.
At Communion Service Jan. G, 1929, Miss Muriel Brothers was received by letter from the Hyde Park Baptist Church. It is noted that at the 67th annual meeting, Miss Brothers spoke briefly. Pastor Holmes remarked that he felt the Lord had lent her to us for our good. By 1932 she writing a letter to the B.Y.P.U. from India.
It should also be recorded that at the Communion Service, June 1932, Mr. Finlay read an address to Deacon A. D. Kitchener citing his faithfulness as Sunday School superintendent for over 25 years. He was presented with a Scofield Bible by Mr. Magahay on behalf of the church.
From the minutes of about that time, we read that the Sunday School officers and teachers met monthly for tea and business.
Here is a meaningful phrase appearing at the end of the minutes of the 1932 business meeting. "It was a most delightful meeting." (A. M. Smith clerk.) Another later item states - The Ladies' Aid and church offerings were "Whittling away at the Mortgage."
The Sixty-Eighth Anniversary preacher was Dr. Bowley Green of Castlefield Ave, Toronto. During the following week he preached most acceptably.
On May 9, 1934, came the news of the death of Dr. T. A. Kirkconnell, stricken while supplying, for a sick collegiate associate. The church sent to Mrs. Kirkconnell a message of deep sympathy and thankfulness to God for Dr. Kirkconnell's matchless service to Lindsay youth as Head Master and for his humble devoted service to this church for 26 Years.
Below is recorded a rather uncommon event which might bear repeating:
"On April 18, 1935, a Special Communion Service, including friends from Baddow, Fenelon Falls, Reaboro and Lindsay was observed with meditation on the real meaning of Easter."
TWO BIBLE CLASSES
Through this 100 years there have been a number of Bible Classes, for young men and young women. This item describes two of them.
1. The Bluebird Class
This primarily was a group of young mothers whose children were in the Sunday School. They asked Mrs. B. G. Darby to be their teacher, leader. They were a busy, happy group both for Sundays and during the week. When Mrs. Darby left for Halifax, to be with her sister, Mrs. Reed had the privilege of fellowshipping with this busy group. Many of the members are active in Ladies' Aid and Mission circles today.
2. The Victoria Bible Class
Earlier there had been a Baraca Class for young men. In 1934, 16 young men asked Dr. Kirkconnell to lead them, but his death intervened. The following year, 1935, the young men and women of the church and their friends became the V.B.C. under the enthusiastic leadership of Deacon S. R. Pitts. There was a wonderful class feeling and great help came to all. One week-night class event stands out - A special CPR train took them to Toronto for a Hockey Game. Their banquets were also notable, with Mr. Georgas catering.
When Mr. Pitts moved to Barrie he was succeeded by Principal T. H. Eberlee. Mr. Eberlee and many of the class joined up for service with the coming of World War II. The class eased itself into partial oblivion, yet well remembered for its worth.
THE MISSION CIRCLE - By Mrs. S. R. Pitts
The Mission Circle of the church was organized in September, 1880, by a group of eleven earnest Christian women and was to be known as "The Home and Foreign Mission Circle of the Lindsay Baptist Church". Miss Dryden of Brooklyn, Director of Women's work in the Whitby-Lindsay Association spoke at the first meeting and the officers elected were: President, Mrs. W. K. Anderson; Vice-president, Mrs. Mitchell (Mrs. Coveney's mother); Secretary, Miss Fanny Matthews; Treasurer, Miss Bothwell.
1887 - All collection money to be equally divided between Home and Foreign Missions and to be used for no other purpose - $40.00 was raised the first year. 1892 - Sunday School library books were sent to Grand Ligne Mission. 1896 - A one cent special collection was to be taken at each meeting for general expense of the Circle.
1903 - There were 33 members on the roll. 1906 - The Circle gave $10.00 as its share toward the Mission Bungalow in Ramachandra-puram. 1912 - $55.00 was sent to Miss Janet Robinson for a bell for the boys' school at Samalcott, India. Again, money was sent to help keep the school open at Akividu and so it reads all through those early years. Help was sent here and there in those days when a dollar meant a great deal of sacrifice for most of the members. Yet we note in 1914, $174.35 had been sent to Missions.
Reading the reports of these early minutes, one cannot help but be impressed with the brave spirit of the women who refused to be discouraged when the meetings were poorly attended and funds hard to raise. The splendid programs arranged and the variety and wide scope of subjects chosen, shows that these women had caught a vision of the needs of the great wide world.
In 1936, the Mission Circle celebrated its 50th anniversary. It was a memorable event. Mrs. Albert Matthews spoke to the large gathering and urged the younger women of the church to seize the torch from the hands that were trembling and the feet that were weary, and hold it high, that all the world might see and turn to God. At this time, Mrs. J. P. Ryley presented a sketch of the mission circle from 1886 to 1936.
It is worthy of note that the circle has had only six treasurers in all its 77 years and for the past many years has contributed over $500.00 a year to missions.
In December, 1963, the Mission Circle became in name The Elizabeth Ryley Mission Circle to perpetuate the memory of "one whom we were proud to honour". Mrs. Ryley had been president of the Circle from September, 1906 to June, 1943, having given 37 years of loving devotion and service to the cause of Missions, as well as inspirational leadership to the Circle.
The sixtieth anniversary of the Circle was celebrated when Mrs. Ryley, the only living charter member, gave a resume of the six decades of the Mission Circle.
In June, 1957, the Elizabeth Ryley Circle had the distinct honour and privilege of providing a reception for Rev. and Mrs. P. C. Reed, on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary, when the family and a host of friends gathered in the Sunday School Hall - afternoon and evening - to express congratulations and best wishes.
As we have tried to gather up the threads of 77 years in the life of the Elizabeth Ryley Mission Circle, we wonder what the Circle has done for its members over the years. We believe it has deepened their spiritual life, quickened their interest in the work of Missions and enlarged their vision of the need in other lands. The preparing of programs, the prayers, the contributions, the joy of Christian fellowship has, we believe, brought great happiness and lasting benefit to all its members past and present.
MURIEL BROTHERS MISSION CIRCLE - By Mrs. R. E. Hardy
On Oct. 4, 1937, a group of young women met at the Parsonage to consider forming a Young Women's Mission Circle for those not able to meet with the afternoon circle. On being formed, the unanimous decision for a name was, "The Muriel Brothers Mission Circle".
At the regular monthly meetings, topics respecting our mission work at home and abroad were studied. Many "live" missionary speakers were heard. In 1955 a bus load went to Toronto to bid farewell to Miss Brothers as she again returned to her work in India.
In 1956 an Easter Tea was held for the fund for another of our members, Miss Nancy Mitchell - and a Fireside farewell service as she left for our Mission Work in Angola, Africa. Several times since her return on furlough, Miss Mitchell has given us word of the work in that troubled land.
Mrs. France, on return from India in 1960, gave most interesting news of the work there.
In the Fall of 1937, a Penny Party was held at the Parsonage. The groups had been saving pennies, through the summer. $75.00 was brought in. Think of those who rolled them - big pennies - for the bank.
It may be here noted that on Nov. 23. 1937, Mr. Albert Matthews was appointed Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario. This church, of which he had been a member, sent congratulations, and the Pastor called on him in Toronto to further tender our congratulations.
His part in the 75th Anniversary, which marked the end of the Third Quarter Century, is noted in the following pages.
At the beginning of 1937, Pastor Holmes, after a long and fruitful ministry, resigned to accept the Pastorate of Wentworth Church, Hamilton.
He was succeeded the first of April, 1937, by Rev. P. C. Reed, B.A., B.D., from North Bay. His 74th Anniversary sermon on, "The Lord's Remembrancer'' was almost prophetic of his present activity as church Historian.
At the 74th Annual business meeting, The V.B.C. reported a busy year; the Mission circle reported their very successful 50th Anniversary. The Pastor suggested "Alms for the 75th Anniversary Year". The church voted to proceed with property improvements.
Mr. E. J. Fisher, because of his removal to Toronto, had resigned the leadership of the choir. He was presented with a purse in appreciation of his loyal and painstaking services.
Fourth Quarter Century 1938 - 1963
THE 75TH ANNIVERSARY
On Easter Sunday, April 17, 1938, this church marked the 75th milestone in its history. As Deacon Peel later remarked, "This was the brightest spot to look back upon in the history of the church, thus far."
Some preliminaries to that event should be recorded. As far back as the 74th Annual Meeting the church decided to make the building safe and beautiful for the occasion. In July, L. T. Braunton made the Spire safe. In October both sides of the main roof were shingled. Early in 1938 began the redecoration of the Sanctuary.
On Sunday. April 3rd, the Pastor led in the rededication of the Sanctuary and the dedication of the New Pulpit Bible and Hymnary, the gift of Deacon J. A. Davies.
On the Easter Sunday, Lieutenant-Governor Albert Matthews and Mrs. Matthews, both former members of the church, were in official attendance. Also, Lindsay's Mayor and council were guests.
Both church and school room were crowded with worshippers (450). His Honour read the Lesson. The Preacher was Rev. H. W. Lang - now Professor at McMaster. He was at that time Pastor of Park Road Baptist Church of Toronto, where Mr. and Mrs. Matthews were members.
At the close of the morning service His Honour and Mrs. Matthews received members of the congregation and visitors.
A large audience greeted Mr. Lang at the Evening Service. The choir rendered special music, with visiting soloists at all services.
Monday evening was Missionary Night with an address by Mrs. Dr J. E. Chute of India. A pageant "The Challenge of the Cross" presented by the young women, brought this service to a close.
Wednesday a Congregational dinner was enjoyed with many former members as guests. There was a birthday cake, a roll call and letters were read from about 50 former members.
Miss Madge Sullivan, a former member and organist, was present. After the Congregational dinner she led a happy group of older members in a splendid sing song.
The boys and girls of the Sunday School were entertained on Thursday at a supper and with ''pictures." "Wonderful behaviour," said an observer. Friday was Historical Night. Of main interest to all present was the "History of the Church," prepared and presented by Mrs. Ryley. Letters from former ministers were read.
On the second Sunday of the Anniversary, Dr. E. A. Hardy, an earlier devoted worker in the church, gave a special address to church and Sunday School.
At the evening service, by request, the pageant "The Challenge of the Cross" was repeated.
Many guests visited the Historic Exhibits Room, during the Anniversary Week. It was of particular interest to His Honour and Mrs. Matthews.
SEVENTY-FIFTH ANNIVERSARY HYMN
By Prof. Watson Kirkconnell
Tune - 207 Malcomba
Our fathers laid foundations deep
In Thy great love in days gone by.
Grant us, 0 Lord, their faith to keep
Grant that in us they may not die.
A host of unseen witnesses.
They kneel beside us as we pray:
Here are they with us as we bless
Thee in Thy house this holy day.
Floors that they trod we tread in turn,
Words that they loved, to us are sweet.
Grant that our hearts like their may burn
When in Thy sacred house we meet.
For, loving Thee, our love repays
All of their love on us bestowed,
Who taught our infant lips to praise
Thy name in this Thy blest abode.
At the 75th Annual Meeting in May, the Pastor expressed his appreciation to all those who had made the Anniversary such a happy occasion.
Members continued to be received by Baptism and by letter. As is the case in almost any smaller church, members who are dismissed help to swell the Christian workers elsewhere. A quote from an anniversary reply letter from Dr. M. C. McLean is in order,
"I have considered that a small church, may also, be a great church in its character values and its contributions to the forces that make for the higher things of life."
Further to indicate how widespread in the Denominational life has been the contributions from this church, 'we quote from a letter written by Mrs. M. C. McLean, who fellowshipped with this church while here as a collegiate student.
"At a Women's Convention in Hamilton, I was presenting a report. Presiding at the meeting was Mrs. Albert Matthews, President of the Women's Foreign Board. Seated beside me was Miss Whiteside, editor, and Mrs. Coveney, business agent, of The Link and Visitor; also there, Miss Janet Robinson, on furlough from mission work in India."
All these were former members of the Lindsay Church. Not long after, at a Women's convention in Belleville, Mrs. P. C. Reed noted a similar situation. In line with the Convention Brotherhood Movement, a group was set up here with members of both Lindsay and Reaboro Churches. One of their outstanding meetings was the Evening Service conducted by The Melvor Class of Temple Church, Toronto, under their energetic leader, J. M. McConaghy.
The 1940 Anniversary speaker was the beloved Dr. R. R. McKay, father of Mrs. T. H. Eberlee.
In that same year there passed to her eternal reward Miss Maud Morton, who left a bequest to the church.
At that year's annual business meeting, on his retirement as Sunday School Superintendent, Mr. A. D. Kitchener was elected to the post of Honorary Superintendent of the Sunday School. Mr. R. A. Magahay was elected to succeed him. (It may be recalled that many years earlier, Mr. George Matthews was elected as Honourary Church clerk.)
The McMaster Band conducted services here on their tour of the Association. The members were Messrs. Harmer, Richardson, Finley and Poynter. The first named, Iater became the Lindsay Pastor.
In February 1941, Gospel services were conducted by Rev. H. J. Balsdon and Dr. H. H. Bingham, with rich blessings to the church.
In 1941 there passed away Mrs. Harriet Whiteside, for 53 years a faithful church worker. A memorial tablet was placed on the north wall of the church by her family with due ceremonies.
On Easter Sunday 1942, the Pastor Baptized 14 Lindsay and two Reaboro candidates.
In that year two more faithful church workers, Mrs. A. D. Kitchener and Mrs. Dan Brown passed away.
The Red Cross of Lindsay was reorganized with the coming of the Second World War. Principal Eberlee and Mrs. Eberlee, Deacon Magahay, the Pastor and others worked at the Red Cross Headquarters. Many of our church ladies laboured hard and long to provide hundreds of pieces of knitted and sewed garments, quilts, etc., for War Victims. Many boxes and parcels sent to the men of our congregation in Uniform. Some ladies will recall the the many tins of "Jam for Soldiers" made in our church kitchen. It is to be noted that The international Red Cross is also celebrating One Hundred Years of service.
The Children's Aid Society has functioned here for years, in helping unfortunate women and children. For years Deacon Alec. Clarke was the gracious Superintendent, and for other years Pastor Reed served on its board.
In March, 1943, Pastor Reed finding that the work of the two churches and Convention work was becoming beyond his strength, tendered his resignation to take effect at the end of April. At a Fireside, a gracious address with purse and flowers were presented to Mr. and Mrs. Reed.
Following that resignation, Rev. F. C. Stevens served the church for a few months. During that time on Jan. 9, 1944, one of our Sunday Scholars, Trooper John Hardy, before leaving for overseas was baptized and received into the church membership. In a few months he paid the supreme sacrifice on a battlefield in France.
In June 1944, a recent graduate of McMaster, Mr. Ronald Hanner BA., BD., became Pastor. The Reaboro Church was then arranging with the Gilmour Church to share a pastor.
On June 21, 1944 a Public Induction was held. Dr. H. S. Stewart being the preacher. A congregation Reception was held after the Induction at the home of Mrs. J. P. Ryley.
During the first months of Mr. Harmer's ministry the Sunday services were held in Mackey's Funeral Home, since the church was undergoing alterations and the Pipe Organ was being installed.
THE PIPE ORGAN
As early as the Annual Business Meeting of 1918, Fulton Stewart made a plea for a Pipe Organ for the church. A committee was appointed to consider the matter. There is no record of a report. Later, other such pleas were made and with similar results. In 1939 the choir reported at the annual meeting that a Pipe Organ fund had been started. Four years later (1943), Mrs. Varcoe reported there was $690.00 in the Organ fund. At that time the possible price of an organ was presented.
In October 1943, a committee was appointed to raise $5,000.00 to retire an outstanding mortgage and provide for the Pipe Organ. Action on above motion was deferred, but by Dec. 15, 1943, the church voted to go ahead and purchase the organ.
While those organ plans were maturing, contact was made with Mr. Norman Morton of Flint Michigan, a former member here, and son of Deacon W. J. Morton. The sister, Miss Maud Morton, had long treasured the idea of an organ. The result of above mentioned contact is noted in church minutes of March 20, 1944 in which it "was agreed that we accept the generous offer of Mr. Morton and his wife Anna, to provide a Pipe Organ as a memorial to his parents and family.
The Memorial Tablet on the wall by the organ reads:
Morton Memorial Ocean
Cambridge St. Baptist Church
In Loving Memory of the Morton Family by
Norman S. Morton and Ann D. Morton October, 1944
Nov.12, 1944, is a day long to be remembered in this church, namely the rededication of the newly remodelled Centre Isle-Chancel type sanctuary and the dedication of the Morton Memorial Pipe Organ. Again, present were Mr. and Mrs. Albert Matthews. Mr. Matthews read the Lesson following the solemn dedication of the organ and the handing of keys to the organist, Mr. D. Keith Morden, "To the Glory of God," the sanctuary was then rededicated. The sermons for the day were by Pastor R. D. Harmer. Organ, choir and soloist Mrs. T. H. Eberlee were gladly heard in appropriate selections. Following the evening service, a Fellowship hour was enjoyed by our people and by many from other congregations.
ORDINATION OF PASTOR HARMER
An Ordination Council of the Whitby-Lindsay Baptist Association and other leaders, convened in the church Nov. 29, 1944. The moderator was Rev. Dr. M. C. McLean.
The council being well satisfied with the candidate's views, arranged for the Public Ordination that evening. The Sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. H. M. Parker. Others taking part were Rev. John Marshall, P. C. Reed, Carl Farmer, J. H. Sutcliffe. The benediction was by Rev. Ronald D. Harmer.
At the beginning of 1945, the Ladies' Aid had reached their 50th Anniversary. To celebrate, the church MEN served them a banquet, and the ladies handed to the church a cheque for $1,000.00.
At the May, 1945, Business Meeting Mrs. Varcoe reported the total organ receipts were $9,002.71 and with a balance to credit of $2,660.09.
In September of this same year, a most interesting service was held. The rededication of the Sunday School Hall, after extensive remodelling and redecorating.
ANNIVERSARY AND MORTGAGE BURNING
April 28, 1946, saw another outstanding milestone in the history of the church. Rev. Dr. H. S. Stewart was both the Anniversary Preacher - Sunday, and at the Monday meeting - burning of the Mortgage.
The music for the services was in charge of organist, Walter Morrow. There were choir selections and selections by a choir Ladies' trio, and selections by the Kiwanis Male quartette. Deacon S. R. Pitts gave a brief outline of the history of the church, and spoke of retirement of the mortgage, through further gifts by Mr. Norman Morton.
The mortgage pages were presented by Deacon J. A. Peel; the oldest church member, Mrs. J. P. Ryley, spoke briefly and Mrs. L. Gordon applied the fire, as the congregation sang the Doxology.
At the annual business meeting of 1946, a vote of appreciation was given to Mr. R. A. Magahay, the retiring Sunday School Superintendent. He was asked by the church to continue until the end of June. At this meeting also Deacon J. A. Peel asked the privilege of retiring as active deacon after 38 years of service. He was elected as Honourary Deacon.
In 1947, The Cross and Crown system for Sunday School attendance was instituted. With other churches, the Boys' Camp at Carnarvon was carried on.
In May, 1943, Pastor Harmer presented his resignation to accept a call to Ottawa. Among Pastor and Mrs. Harmer's treasured memories of Lindsay is the birth here of the first two of their present fine quartette of boys. A fireside hour was held the last Sunday of their ministry; a purse was presented to him and a gift to Mrs. Harmer.
In August, 1948, Rev. J. G. B. Armstrong of Hamilton was the preacher. A call was extended to him to become Pastor and was accepted. His first duty in Oct. 6-7 was to act with the church as host to the gathering of the Whitby-Lindsay Association.
He was formally inducted in a service on Oct. 20th. The preacher was Rev. Ivan Morgan of Peterborough, Ont.
For the 86th Anniversary in 1949, the church was happy to greet once again Dr. H. S. Stewart.
When the Baptist convention was holding its great service of witness in the Varsity Arena, Toronto, this church sent a bus load of delegates. When the Baptist Federation of Canada was meeting in York Minster Church, another bus load from here attended.
In 1950, Oct. 16-20, special services were conducted by Brotherhoods from Toronto. In December of that year, the girls' collegiate choir attended the morning service and very acceptably sang several numbers.
In May. 1951, a Sunday Evening Fireside was held in honour of Rev. P. C. Reed, who had then completed 50 years in the ministry. Presentations were made to Mr. and Mrs. Reed. Mr. Reed recalled many incidents during those years of service for the Master.
In October, 1951, the church again adopted the Board of Management System of dealing with temporal affairs of the church.
Rev. Cliff Hill (early in 1952) carried on an inspiring week of services.
For some time in 1952-53 the New Dutch Reformed Church held their services in our school room on Sunday afternoons.
At the annual meeting of 1953 a new feature was introduced. An anonymous giver offered to give dollar for dollar (up to $1,000.00) for church improvements. The money was given and that giver was thanked.
The McMaster quartette was in charge of the Sunday Services, and at the Fireside, on Jan. 25, 1953. These were most outstanding services. In February, services were held in the Mackey Funeral Home, while decorations were going on in the church. Rev. W. A. Cameron was the Anniversary speaker, assisted by the Maple Leaf Quartette.
In December, 1953, Rev. Reg. Bennett of India, was the welcome speaker at both Services.
In 1954 the India missionary speaker was Rev. Orville Getty. MRS. J. P. RYLEY passed to her eternal reward on Oct. 9, 1953. Two years earlier in honour of her 70 years as a member of the church she was presented with a Bible and flowers. The year after her passing the Mission Circle, in honour of her memory, enlarged their name to become "The Elizabeth Ryley Mission Circle". In that same year her family unveiled a plaque to her memory.
In March, 1954, The Anniversary speaker was Dr. P. P. Zeiman, who also continued with a week of great and helpful preaching.
In that year the Whitby-Lindsay and Peterborough Associations merged under the name, The Trent Valley Association.
In January, 1955. Rev. J. G. B. Armstrong resigned, after six years of vital leadership. At the close of the annual church business meeting he was presented with a purse and Mrs. Armstrong with flowers.
A call was extended to Rev. S. D. France of Niagara Falls. This was accepted, his work to begin on May 1st. In the interval the pulpit was well supplied by a number of visiting ministers: Dr. N. H. Parker being the preacher for Easter Sunday, and Rev. A. Poynter for the Anniversary Services.
At the induction of Pastor France the moderator was Rev. Keith Daniel and the preacher, Rev. Ivan Morgan.
On June 12th, Miss Muriel Brothers, just returned from India, was heard with keen delight by the audiences, both morning and evening.
Sept. 1, 1955, the church suffered a great loss in the passing of Deacon J. A. Peel. He was for many years a loyal worker in the church. Later the Grand piano was presented by Mr. Morgan Peel in behalf of the families. Pastor France conducted the dedication of the piano.
PEEL MEMORIAL GRAND PIANO
In loving memory of
Helen Edwards Peel
Lucy Janet Peel
James Albert Peel
Presented by members of the families,
Nov. 18, 1955
In that month Rev. C. R. Rudd of the Canadian Bible Society, by word and by pictures told the story of that Society's great work.
New church hymnals were formally put into service.
In October, 1955, Dr. Kitchen preached and administered the ordinance of Baptism to a candidate from Baddow. On Thanksgiving Sunday Pastor France baptized Five candidates.
On two dates in October, bus loads from our church attended the Billy Graham meetings in Toronto.
At the end of the month in an exchange of pulpits, Rev. W. J. Robertson of Haliburton preached here and Pastor France took the Anniversary Service at West Guilford.
On Nov. 13, 1955, the start was made of the Unified Service, the Sunday School being at the 11:00 a.m. service, with classes to follow to 12:30 p.m. In January the Sunday School Superintendent, B. Bates, reported a large increase in the Sunday School from this plan.
With some amendments, a New Constitution for the church was adopted at the January 8, 1956, business meeting. A Sunday School Nursery plan was approved. In October a bus load went to the Association Meeting in Uxbridge.
During 1956 missionary speakers were Dr. H. S. Hillyer, Revs. E. Church and P. Amy.
Since one of the members, Miss Nancy Mitchell had volunteered for missionary service in Angola, Africa, a Fund was initiated to help in her outfit. On May 27, 1956, Miss Mitchell effectively spoke at both services and at the evening fireside she was joyfully presented with funds amounting to $1,182.00.
Rev. Gordon Holmes was the anniversary speaker. There were baptisms both on Good Friday and on Easter Sunday.
Once again extensive repairs on the church property both inside and outside were carried through.
In October, a Baptist Women's Crusade meeting was conducted by Mrs. Dengate and Miss Brewer.
There were more Baptisms in October.
At the January, 1957, Business Meeting, organist William Perry presented his resignation, to accept as organist in the Presbyterian Church, a full-time musical career. The resignation was accepted with deep regret, and with appreciation for his fine service here.
A letter of thanks was received from the Immanual Baptist Church, Fenelon Falls, for the donation of Pulpit and Chairs.
At the morning service of Feb. 16, 1957, at the suggestion of Pastor France, motion was made by Deacons Eberlee and Reeds that Rev. P. C. Reed be made "Minister Emeritus" of this church. The motion was approved.
Again, both at the Good Friday and Easter Sunday Services there were Baptisms.
Pastor France presented his resignation in May, to be effective in September. This was accepted with deep regret. At his farewell service and fireside, tangible expressions of esteem were presented to Mr. and Mrs. France.
With the passing of Mary Ethel Davies on May 28 1957, the Muriel Brothers Mission Circle lost a charter member. For many years Ethel was missionary treasurer of the church, also treasurer of the Sunday School, a department of the church in which she was keenly interested. To her memory, the Mission Circle presented to the Sunday School a picture of "Christ Knocking at the Door." A tribute to Ethel was given by Mrs. R. E. Hardy, and the picture was unveiled by Mrs. P. C. Reed, the first councillor of the Circle.
IN MEMORY OF
M. ETHEL DAVIES - 1892-1957
Who gave many years of service to this Church and Sunday School.
Presented by Muriel Brothers Circle.
On the first of December, 1957, Rev. H. R. Stovell of Toronto, began his ministry here.
His induction was on Jan. 14, 1958, and was presided over by Rev. Dr. Harvey Denton. The preacher was Rev. Keith Daniel. Greetings were brought from Rev. Lee Begg from Revs. M. W. Holmes and R.K. McLean, and the Mayor of Lindsay.
At the Thanksgiving service, the special offering amounted to $560.00. In December it was reported that Mr. Stanley Kitchener had sent $100.00 for the church and $193.00 for missions; that Insurance on the church property amounted to $75,000.00 with staggered premium payments.
In March the Sector Plan was presented, later discussed and on two occasions this was accepted, as a plan for this church.
On Sept.30, 1959, it was reported that the nursery would again be ready for babies whose mothers were attending the church service. A committee of The Pastor, P. C. Reed, the church clerk and Mr. S. Owen, was appointed to examine all church records to be sent to the McMaster Historical collection, and also to collect data for the Centenary.
The 1960 Anniversary Services were led by Rev. H. E. Nordland of Toronto.
The Summer services were arranged with St. Andrew's Presbyterian and our church.
On Sept. 25, 1960. we were privileged to have a visit from Rev. and Mrs. France, now returned from India. They spoke at the two services, at the Sunday Schoool and at a fireside service, showed their pictures of India.
At the Jan. 18, 1961, business meeting there was further discussions on plans for improving our church building, to be ready for the Centenary in 1963.
Rev. Vernon Kimball of Angola, Africa, was the speaker in March, and in April, Rev. Emlyn Davies of Toronto, was the Anniversary preacher.
March 15, 1961, there was presented the work of McMaster Divinity College, and the church was offered the privilege of participating in their new Building Program.
At the September 1961, business meeting a message of appreciation was ordered sent to Mrs. J. A. Davies, granddaughter of the first church clerk, Mr. Peter Fisher, for her painting of "The Lord's Supper", presented to the church.
The Ministers' Pension Plan, and the part of this church in such, was presented and accepted.
During these years the Women's Association has been active and faithful in the work of the church. In December, 1961, under their auspices was arranged a musical evening. The artists were, pianist, Miss Rosemary Holdaway; soloist, Mr. Elmer Daniel with his sister Mrs. Stovell the accomplished accompanist. The final number was a duet by Mr. Daniel and Mr. Carkner.
THE LADIES' AID
The Ladies' Aid was organized in October, 1903. About this time the Ladies of the Mission Circle had been mending the cushions in the church pews and had been called upon to buy dishes for the church. It was decided that this was not the work of the Mission Circle and a Ladies' Aid was formed with 14 members present.
The aim of the Ladies' Aid seems to have been to retire the church mortgage, and they are recorded as having paid $100.00 a year for 9 years off the mortgage. $1,000.00 was paid on the church furnace in 1945. The booth at the Lindsay Fair, manned by the ladies, appeared to net from $500.00 to $700.00 a year.
The ladies had some unique ways of raising money -- saving coppers from 1932 to 1936 - Sunshine Baskets - crokinole parties, dime teas - $1.00 days, etc.
In April, 1946, Mrs. L. Gordon, President of the Ladies' Aid, assisted in the burning of the church mortgage. In 1952 a Women's Association was formed to replace the Ladies' Aid and the Year Plan was adopted in 1956.
Mrs. R. G. Robertson has been a member for over 40 years, and Mrs. V. Campbell was treasurer for 20 years. These records speak for themselves. Two electric stoves and refrigerator were installed in the kitchen - contribution to the organ fund, providing choir gowns, gas furnace for the parsonage, church suppers, firesides, etc. are but a few of the many activities of this busy, happy group.
The church history would not be complete without a short record of their worthwhile endeavours for 60 years.
The Christmas music and all church music under the direction of D. Keith Morden was always most effective - particularly "The Adoration", by the thoroughly trained junior choir.
Year by year members were added to the church by Baptism and by letter.
At the January, 1962, Annual meeting the supper was "beautifully served by the girls." Again, the trustees reported the need of a complete redecoration of the church for the centenary.
In March a special donation was received from Mrs. R. G. Robertson in memory of her daughter, Murilla.
The Anniversary preacher for 1962 was Rev. M. F. Morden, formerly of Reaboro, and now our Convention secretary for Evangelism.
On April 29, 1962, Pastor Stovell resigned, to accept a call to St. Thomas. A word may here be recorded of the busy activities of Mr. and Mrs. Stovell and daughters and Dan in connection with the many activities of the church.
The farewell to Pastor Stovell and family in July was in the form of a luncheon, after the morning service. A "Travellers" purse was presented to the Pastor, flowers to Mrs. Stovell and corsages to all parsonage ladies. It was a gracious and happy send off.
THE SUNDAY SCHOOL, B.Y.P.U. and MISSION BAND
Almost from the beginning, the Sunday School has been a vital organization of the Church. It was started in 1867, with the building of the Wellington St. Chapel.
The Christian Endeavour - later B.Y.P.U. and Mission Band, both at early dates, became further training grounds for young church members. A very considerable proportion of the additions to the church by Baptism came from the Sunday School, B.Y.P.U. and Mission Band.
Both Societies, like the church itself, have had a moving membership. In this 100 years, the church has received into membership by Baptism, Letter or experience nearly 1,500 members. Yet the continued removals by death or letter were such that the membership never exceeded 300. Its constituant societies therefore were never very large. Yet all have voluntarily and sturdily carried on locally, and though the workers here were reduced, all were happy that many, many able workers had been provided for churches elsewhere.
In September, 1962, the church approved a call to Rev. Gordon M. Holmes as interim pastor.
He is proving himself the same busy energetic Pastor as of 25 years ago. Two members were received in January, 1963.
At the annual church business meeting, and concluding 100 years of service, the outstanding piece of business was to extend a call to the pastorate of Rev. T. W. J. Boadway.
His formal acceptance has been received, his work to begin July 1, 1963.
We have here reviewed the work of a group of great Christian Pioneers and their successors, what glorious things they did accomplish for their God in Lindsay and beyond.
Behold them -
"A noble army, men and boys,
The matron and the maid,
Around the Saviour's throne rejoice,
In robes of light arrayed:
They climbed the steep ascent of heaven,
Through peril, toil and pain:
O God, to us may grace be given
To follow in their train." - Heber
Fifth Quarter Century 1963-1988
By Marion Pitts
For the record, we will endeavour to gather the threads of the history of the Church for the past twenty-five years, from the time of our Centennial when the Church celebrated 100 years of Christian service in this community. We will try to present the highlights in our Church life as taken from the minute book and record the Ministers who have served this Church during that time.
THE 100TH ANNIVERSARY
On May 5, 1963, Ministers representing forty years of service to the Church attended;
Rev. P. C. Reed 1937-43; Rev. R. D. Harmer, 1944-48; Rev. B. Armstrong 1948-55; Rev. S. D. France 1955-57; Rev. H. Stovell 1957-62; Rev. G. M. Holmes 1962-63.
Professor Watson Kirkconnell, President of Acadia University and former member of the Church composed the Centennial hymn.
Dr. N. H. Parker, Principal of McMaster University and Divinity College, Hamilton, was the guest speaker at morning and evening services. Special music by a former organist of the Church, William Perry, was presented.
Mr. S. R. Pitts was chairman of the week-long Centennial celebrations;
- A Congregational dinner at which over 150 former members and adherents responded to the roll call.
- A special Mission night when Mrs. S. D. France, recently returned from India, spoke to a large gathering in the Church auditorium.
- Historical night, when a pageant was presented by Rev. P. C. Reed.
As he reviewed quarter-centuries in the history of the Church, candles were lit by Past Presidents Mrs. B. McCarty, Mrs. S. Pitts, Mrs. E. Wright and Mrs. C. Suggitt, paying tribute to the Elizabeth Ryley Mission Circle organized 77 years earlier. It was the pioneer women's organization of the Church.
May 12, 1963 –
Dr. F. W. Waters, Professor of Philosophy of McMaster University was the special speaker at both services as the weeklong, Centennial celebrations were brought to a close.
A unique Fireside, attended by many from other congregations of the Town followed the evening service and a beautiful three tier Anniversary cake graced the table.
The Historic Room contained many relics of the past including:
Original Church Minute Book, 1863
Church Organ, 1868
Old Church Wall Clock, 1885
Pulpit Chair, 1886
Marriage Register, 1896-1929
Hymn Board, 1900
Ironstone China, 1895
Pewter Communion Cup, 1900
A Centennial book was compiled by Rev. P. C. Reed covering the years from 1863 to 1963 and one hundred copies were published.
The Minute books of the Church were forwarded to McMaster Archives, Hamilton, for safe keeping. Souvenir plates of the Church superimposed in sepia were available at the time. In 1966 a Memorial Window was presented to the Church by L. T. (Les) Braunton in memory of his wife and parents.
Other presentations included a Memorial Book by Mr. and Mrs. Keith Morden in memory of Mr. Morden's parents and a suitable stand for the Memorial Book was made and presented by Mr. Bud Bates.
Mr. R. A. (Bob) Magahay was made an Honourary Deacon in recognition of many years of faithful service to the Church.
In 1967 a special day in the life of the Church was held in commemoration of the 60th year of Ordination to the Ministry of our beloved and highly esteemed Minister Emeritis, Rev. P. C. Reed.
A Memorial donation of one thousand dollars from Cecil Robertson in memory of his mother, Mrs. R. G. Robertson, a long-time member of the Church, was received.
Mr. F. A. Reeds was made an Honourary Deacon after many years' service to the Church and on the Board of Deacons.
In 1970 Rev. T. W. J. Boadway presented his resignation after 7 years of vital leadership. At a Congregational gathering, Rev. and Mrs. Boadway were presented with a purse of money in appreciation.
January 1971 - A lengthy discussion regarding the future of the Church Parsonage took place at the annual meeting. Consideration was given as to whether the house should be sold, rented, put into a state of repair suitable for Sunday School use. A committee was set up to investigate all angles and make a recommendation.
In February a special meeting was called including Trustees, Property, Finance, Deacons, etc. The Parsonage was sold for $9,000.00 plus additional land for lane parking to be retained by the Church. Vendor was responsible for removal of the building and clean-up.
Money from the sale was to be used for much needed repairs to beams and supports in the Sunday School, for re-roofing and interior painting of the Sunday School. The balance to be deposited in a special building account for future repair and renovation.
In an appraisal taken at this time the beautiful pipe organ in the Church (see page 28 Centennial Book) was re- valued at $70,000.00.
On March 1, 1971, Rev. John Bovenkamp conducted his first service in Lindsay having been called from Perth to Cambridge Street Baptist Church.
A Church Burglary - a first - was recorded with the disappearance of a tape recorder, Sunday School clock, cutlery, etc. The loss was covered by insurance.
Rev. John Bovenkamp retired from the Ministry in March, 1973. Following his farewell sermon, lunch was served by the ladies and a presentation made to Mr. and Mrs. Bovenkamp.
Rev. Robert Poole accepted a call as Pastor in March 1973. His induction followed in October when Rev. James Taylor preached the induction sermon.
In January, 1973, one hundred new Hymnaries were presented to the Church by members of the congregation. 75 copies of the King James version of the Bible were presented to the Church from the Memorial Fund. Suitable services of dedication were held for these most acceptable gifts.
Summer services were held during July and August for many years with members of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. These Union services proved most successful and engendered a strong feeling of Christian fellowship between the Churches involved.
In 1975 Mr. Stan Owen was made an Honourary Deacon. He was caretaker of the Church for sixteen years during which he spent a part of each day at the Church in the performance of his duties. A man of great faith in God.
Mr. Ted Hill, Mrs. Marion Pitts and Mr. Bud Bates were made Life Trustees of the Church at the Annual Meeting in January 1975.
A special campaign was conducted in 1976 to raise funds to paint the outside of the Church, windows, steeple, etc., and to repair the brickwork. Many members gave freely of their time and labour and generous offerings were also received.
A Communion Cloth and Pulpit Scarf were presented to the Church in 1974 by the Young People's Group.
June 26, 1977 - A luncheon was held in honour of the Poole family and E. C. Hill presented a colour T.V. and stand on behalf of the congregation.
September 1977 - An induction service for Minister-elect Grant Woodcock was held. The Induction sermon was given by Dr. Murray Ford.
April 16, 1978 - 115th ANNIVERSARY
Rev. Basil Metz was the special Anniversary speaker at both well attended services.
A fireside gathering was held following the evening service at which time Mr. Art Dickinson was made an Honourary Deacon recognizing his many contributions to the Church in various departments as well as the Deacon's Board. Mr. Stan Pitts presented a specially penned poem to Art to commemorate the occasion.
April 23, 1978 - Farewell Sunday for Mr. and Mrs. Ted Copeland and Glen as they leave for the Mission Fields. Both Mr. and Mrs. Copeland spoke to the congregation in a well-filled Church. A luncheon was served following the morning service in honour of the Copelands and they were presented with a gift of money.
September 14, 1978 -- Examining Council Meeting for Grant Woodcock
An Ordination Council of delegates from the Trent Valley Association filled the Church and were well satisfied with the Candidate's testimony, beliefs and academic background.
The vote to proceed with the Ordination was unanimous.
September 28, 1978 - Ordination Service for Grant Woodcock. The Church was again filled to capacity with delegates from the Trent Valley Association, as well as friends and members of the Congregation.
A highlight of the Ordination Service was that the guest speaker was Rev. Gordon Woodcock, father of Grant Woodcock. Others taking part in the special Service were: Rev. Donald Corbett, Moderator; Rev. Kenneth Morrison, Dept. of Ministry; Rev. Murray Ford, McMaster University and Rev. Alva Roblin, Fenelon Falls.
A reception followed in the Sunday School Hall where a large gathering attended to extend greetings and best wishes to Reverend Grant Woodcock.
During 1979 the facilities of the church were improved through the construction of new washrooms on the main floor. With the assistance of volunteer labour these were completed at the cost of $3,000.00.
In 1980, at the annual meeting in January, S. R. Pitts was appointed an Honourary Deacon in recognition of over 50 years' service on motion of Deacons Art Dickinson and Dr. Reg Hollows.
Rev. Grant Woodcock was married to Sheila Jayes, his new bride becoming a member of the congregation. Twenty-three new members were added to the church roll in 1981.
On March 18, 1982, Rev. Grant Woodcock tendered his resignation to take effect at the end of June.
Ethel Lockery reported the arrival of new choir gowns.
At the quarterly business meeting in October, the Pulpit Committee announced that Rev. David Stamp of Dutton and Iona Station had accepted our call and would be commencing his ministry January 16, 1983.
Rev. George Medly filled in as interim minister from September 1982 until the arrival of Rev. Stamp.
On November 28, 1982, a dedication service was held acknowledging the gift of a beautiful memorial window in memory of Mrs. Grace Sullivan and great-granddaughter Laura Grace Vien, a gift to the church from the family of Howard and Margaret Mills.
In 1983 a new sound system for the church was presented by Anne and George Robertson in memory of Harold Robertson.
Rev. David Stamp read a letter of resignation to be effective January 31, 1984, he having accepted a call to First Baptist Church, Dryden.
Dr. Frank Rice, retiring from Yorkminister-Park, Toronto, agreed to act as interim minister for this church commencing October 7, 1984 until a permanent minister was engaged.
On Sunday evening, October 20, 1985, Rev. Robert Frederick Brillinger conducted the service and later accepted the call of the church with duties to begin January 16, 1986.
Early in 1986 an invitation was extended to the membership to attend the 45th anniversary of the Ordination of Rev. Herb Stovell of Niagara Falls. Mr. Stovell was a former minister here.
The B.W.C.S. undertook to procure and pay for an attractive new sign for the church and a committee was appointed for this purpose.
John Bouch, continuing as Superintendent of the Sunday School reported some new faces and the need for an additional teacher. Sunday School collections amounted to $417.85 plus $285.65 for missions. $200.00 of the mission money was presented to Joan McSwain on her visit here to assist in the purchase of a microscope for the lab in the hospital in Zaire.
The Tuesday morning coffee hour continued throughout the year with an average attendance of ten. Four men attended the men's coffee hour on a regular basis.
Under the chairmanship of Garnet Fleischer, the House Committee was most active. An extensive upgrading of the church property was accomplished including furnace and radiator repairs, a new fire door on the North side of the building, along with other fire-safety installations as well as redecorating the Sunday School, nursery, etc.
Flower beds in front of the church donated, planted and cared for by Anne Robertson and Ben Stevens were much appreciated.
The faithful choir under the leadership of Jim Gayfer continue to represent a major element in our worship services.
At the Annual meeting held in January 1987, reports of progress over the past year and plans for 1988 were presented and considered. 1988 being our 125th Anniversary year, a committee of fourteen to organize this special event was appointed under the chairmanship of Mr. Dalton Lindsay.
In reporting for the Board of Deacons, chairman Art Orr announced that Dr. Frank Rice, former interim minister, would be the speaker for our 124th Anniversary services on April 12.
At the Quarterly business meeting held March 26, it was agreed that the Anniversary Committee proceed with extensive upgrading in the church. The program outlined and approved by vote, included re-finishing of floor and pews and the installation of new rugs throughout. The program to cost approximately $13,300.00.
A new addition to the church outreach program was reported by the minister, namely Kids Club. Children 3 to 12 are invited and have been organized on a weekly basis. Progress appears promising.
Margaret Mills has accepted the position of Director of B.W.C.S. for the Trent Valley Association June 1987 for a period of three years.
Bob Puffer, chairman of the Men's Group, reported a busy year including attending the men's retreat at Ganaraska Lodge and other special events and exchange visits throughout the year.
SUMMARY OF THE CHANGES WHICH TOOK PLACE
IN THE LADIES' GROUP OF
CAMBRIDGE STREET BAPTIST CHURCH
By Mrs. Margaret Mills - President B.W.C.S.
The official change took place as of January 1969.
It was not until after a very careful study by all groups concerned that the decision was made to amalgamate the three (3) women's groups of the church; namely - The Elizabeth Reilly Mission Circle; The Muriel Brothers' Mission Circle; The Women's Association.
This decision was made because it was felt that the women of our church of today have many obligations in their home, their work, their community efforts, as well as in their church; and so to overcome these pressures on all, a unified group was formed to meet the needs of the world around us.
To correctly organize this new group, combined executive meetings of the three groups mentioned above were held to discuss the feasibility of having such a combined group. Resource personnel were invited to share with us their experiences in forming combined groups.
The ladies of Cambridge Street Baptist Church took this important step forward with enthusiasm, hesitancy, and some concern for the future of the church; but each one of the ladies kept the theme of that year's World Day of Prayer "Building With Christ" in her heart. Prayer - Enthusiasm - and Togetherness cannot help but make a church grow in the work of God.
Unanimous decisions that were made were:
1. That the name of the newly formed ladies' group be Baptist Women for Christian Service - B.W.C.S.
2. That we have a purpose to repeat together - The Purpose
"As Baptist Women together let us share each other's joys and cares and reach out with His love to every person near and far."
3. That we have a single envelope with the following wording on it:
World Service -- Local Service
This will allow every member to give as she wishes.
4. That the Objectives of our group be
a. To cultivate the spirit of Christian fellowship among the women of the church
b. To advance the spiritual and social welfare of the church and community.
c. To promote the work of the Baptist Women's Missionary Society of Ontario and Quebec according to the constitution and instructions of societies.
The B.W.C.S. did not start functioning until May 1969. This gave the newly appointed executive time to organize, to study the needs of the church and to appoint such groups and leaders to meet these needs of the church.
During the past quarter century, the needs the outreach responsibilities and the executive structure have changed as necessary to achieve our objectives which have remained steadfast. These years have been challenging, but exciting ones in the lives of our Church Women.
A CENTENNIAL HYMN
Tune: St. Petersburg, see Hymnary No. 11
0 God, before whose timeless eyes
The centuries like moments flow;
Whose will is wider than the skies
With countless galaxies aglow -
To Thee our humble thanks arise
For all the blessings Thou dost show.
A hundred human years have sped
Since Faith laid here her cornerstone;
The founders of our work are dead,
Their souls exult before Thy throne,
While children's children, in their stead,
Uphold the harvest they have sown.
Accept our thanks. Almighty King;
Vouchsafe our feeble prayers to bless,
While like our fathers we would bring
The tribute that our souls confess;
Grant us Thy mercy as we sing
Thy heights and depths of holiness.
by Watson Kirkconnell
Minute Books and mass of materials of the Lindsay Regular Baptist Church
History of one 1st 75 years - Mrs. J.P. Ryley
History of Peterborough Church,
Baptist in Ontario before - by Iveson and
Records of Haldimand Association
Records of Ontario East (later called the Peterborough Association).
Records of Ontario West Association (later the Toronto) and Whitby-Lindsay Association.
An unpublished mass of the life of Rev. John Gilmouur (Courtesy of Dr. G. P. Gilmour).
History of Reaboro Church.
A Canadian Headmaster - Dr. W. Kirkconnell.
History of Victoria County.
The information contained in this article was extracted from the booklet titled:
Cambridge Street Baptist Church Lindsay, Ontario
One Hundred and Twenty-Five Years 1863 to 1988
First Century Compiled By Rev. P. C. Reed
Printed by BLEWETT PRINTING Lindsay, Ontario
For further information, please contact Cambridge Street Baptist Church in Lindsay, Ontario at 28 Cambridge Street North, Lindsay, Ontario K9V-4C5